- George: "Martha, how did you know where to find me?"
Martha: "You're my best friend, George. I always know where you are."
George and Martha was a series of children's books written and illustrated by James Marshall between 1972 and 1988. Each book in the series contained a number of short stories describing interactions between two hippos, George and Martha. The books inspired an animated children's television show which comprised 26 episodes made in 1999, and a musical in 2011. As of March 28, 2016 George and Martha is now on Qubo, However only 25 episodes air as one episode is missing for a unknown reason. The books describe the activities and adventures of best friends George and Martha. These activities include taking dance classes, going to the beach and the amusement park, and playing pranks on each other. The series teaches us about friendship in a humorous way; George and Martha sometimes fight but always make up.
This animated series is based on the popular books by James Marshall and co-produced with Maurice Sendak, creator of Nelvana's show Seven Little Monsters and acclaimed author and illustrator of Where the Wild Things Are. George And Martha is the sweet story of two best friends who happen to be hippos. These dear, ditzy, down-to-earth hippos, voiced by Academy Award-winner Nathan Lane and renowned Canadian actress and comedienne Andrea Martin, share an enduring friendship that is sometimes trying, sometimes touching, but always tons of fun.
- This is the second Qubo series to incorporate celebrity voice actors, with the first being Jakers! The Adventures of Piggley Winks.
- Nathan Lane, the voice of George, also voiced Timon in The Lion King.
- This is one of six shows that debuted on HBO before their debuts on Qubo. The other five are Babar, Pippi Longstocking, The Adventures of Paddington Bear, I Spy and Postman Pat.
- The theme song is "Mambo All Stars" by Perfidia, which was once used in an episode of Showtime's hit drama Dexter.